Thursday, October 1, 2009

chilly mornings make me crawl back to bed

{photo source}
Since I started living on the coast, I have come to appreciate the coldness of a Prairie Winter. I appreciate the cold hard winds, the bone-chilling numbness and the dryness of it all. There's something so satisfying about knowing you'll be cold outside and warm inside.

Here, on the coast, you're just always cold. As the morning fog creeps away and the grey of the day settles in for the long haul, my apartment is cold. I have hardwood floors so my feet are cold. I'm wearing a tank that I slept in so my arms and hands are cold. All this just means that the warmest place is the bed that I left.

I will go back to bed. I'm a writer with weird hours so I'm a night owl, easily. And I've only managed a few hours of sleep so far. But cold - it's always harder in the cold.

The damp and wet feeling of the day makes me crave hot latte's, hot chocolate, pumpkin pie, cinnamon and apple pie, turkey and roast potatoes. A time for snuggling under the blankets, candles flickering, a fireplace roaring with flames. A time for baked goods, warm pastries and heavenly smells. I want comfort food and it doesn't help that I'm on Aunt Flo.

But... we must make do. Small sacrifices. I may not get all that, but I'll get a fantastic, freshly-ground cup of coffee over a latte any day. I'll get lean turkey breast and a wonderful salad instead. I'll bite a small square of dark chocolate over hot chocolate.

I'm going to focus on a healthy balance and awareness this month. I want to keep myself focused on what I'm eating and how that affects me. I want to food journal everything while maintaining my water intake as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment